Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Cross

Do you know what we need today? We need to get back to the cross. Commence the climb. Oh, there's a lot of people are living in the low lands. Where are you living, brother? Are you getting up the mountain? Thank God for the climbers, the men that are looking for higher ground. My faith has no desire to stay where doubt's abound and fears dismay.

Though some may dwell where these abound, my constant aim is higher ground. Let's go up the mountain today.

Could I for a moment bring you to the place called Calvary?
Could we stand this afternoon under the shadow of the old cross of shame? Could we gaze today afresh upon the bleeding, battered, broken body of God's dear Son? Could we count the thorns in that crown of agony? Could we count the purple drops that fall from his hands, his feet and side? Could I get my soul ignited with the warm passion of that great offering for sin?

Oh, man and woman, today see from his head, his hands, his feet sorrow and blood flow mingled down. Did ever such love or sorrow meet or thorns compose so rich a crown?

And when I stand at that cross I hate sin because sin put him on that tree. How can I flirt with sin? How can I companion with sin? How can I take part in sin when I know that sin put him on the tree? As I stand there under that cross I hate the world. I hate the flesh. I hate the devil. For that broken, bleeding, battered body of Christ is the handiwork of all three.

For you my sins, my cruel sins, his chief tormenters were. Each of my crimes became a nail and unbelief the spear. If we could get up that mountain today, my, the things of earth would grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.

No comments: